This is a list of my favorite firefox extensions.
I divide the list into two groups, the first group is misc stuff, and the second group is specific to search:
1. Misc Extensions
- AI Roboform Toolbar: I really cant live without Robofom, it keeps track of my logins/passwords across Firefox, IE, and Netscape (yes, I use all three browsers, one for each of my personalities (home, work, school), this way I keep the cookies separate.
- Live HTTP Headers: An invaluable tool for debugging what is going between the browser and the server. I need this frequently to track how different sites are tracking their visitors, for example I can easily see if the Google Urchin beacon is triggered, etc.
- GreaseMonkey: You all know what this one does, it allows you to easily write scripts that can dynamically change what the pages looks like. For example, after you install GreaseMonkey extension, install this script “Evil Google Logo” then visit Google for a nice surprise (to install the script, right click on the link then select Install Script from the context sensitive menu that pops up).
- IE Tab: This is a cool extension that lets you open IE tabs inside Firefox :), for example, I use it so that I can open adcenter.msn.com in firefox (since it only works with IE).
- Extended SatusBar: This extension gives you a bunch of additional information in the status bar at the bottom of the firefox window, for example it tells you the size of the page, the average download speed and the time it took to download the page.
- Extended Link Properties: Lots of additional info for the properties sheet you get by clicking on properties from the right-click menu.
- FasterFox: Lets you fine tune firefox for super speed. Its very easy to use, mostly plug and play, and gives you choices from “default” to “Turbo Charged” performance (advanced features include prefetching, block flash popups, and many others)
- FlashGot: Download one link, selected links or all the links of a page at the maximum speed.
- DOM Inspector: Inspect the DOM of HTML, XUL, and XML pages
2. Search Extensions:
- CustomizeGoogle: Allows you to change the Google SERP by adding extra information, e.g. you can add numbering for the results and remove unwanted information (like ads and spyware tracking)
- GooglePreview: Adds website image thumbnails to both the Google and Yahoo SERPs
- Aggregate Yahoo! & Google: Whenever you do a query on Google, both the Google and Yahoo results will be interleaved together (so you get the first result from Google, then the first result from Yahoo, and so on)
- Advanced Dork: You can highlight a word or phrase, right click to get the context-sensitive menu, then choose from over 15 Advanced Google Search Operators.
If you frequently use any other firefox extensions, then please let me know by commenting on this post.